A Brief History of Jeffersontown, Kentucky
Residents of Jeffersontown, Kentucky today probably cannot imagine that their community existed previously as only a waypoint for travelers in the early 1700s. War veterans from the Revolutionary War and other pioneers began to settle the lovely lands just south of the Ohio, but it took almost a century to make any progress in the lush forested areas that were favored hunting grounds of the local natives.
Around 1794, Mr. Abraham Bruner made a purchase of 122 acres of forest near Chenoweth Run Creek with thoughts of a small town. He assumed it would populate swiftly due to the heavily-traveled crossroad nearby. Small business owners started making purchases and before he knew it, they had a relatively populated town that became officially dubbed as Brunerstown in honor of his Germanic heritage and hard work. Unfortunately, the city didn't see it that way, and in 1797 they officially renamed the city "Town of Jefferson" in honor of the President Thomas Jefferson.
Jeffersontown, Kentucky offers residents the best of both worlds when it comes to city and country living. The neighborhood that exists today is a growing community that was forged from hard work and still works hard to preserve the natural beauty of the surrounding forests and rolling hills. Residents bask in the beauty of nature while soaking up all the modern conveniences of department stores like Meijers, Walmart and Kroger along with local farmer's markets.
To learn about other areas in town, please visit our page about Subdivisions in Louisville.